“Are you Indian?”
“No, I’m Korean.”
“You look just like a Nepali, like a Lepcha.”
Another man interrupts,
“She’s not Korean. She’s a Nepali.”
“No, I studied Nepali in Nepal…I am from South Korea.”
He glances at me and says,
“She’s Nepali….not Korean.”
Twice, different groups of people got into small discussions about my ethnicity. Some thought I was pulling their legs by saying I was Korean. Others defended me and said I was Korean and not Nepali. It was kind of fun to watch them try to convince each other what I really am! I took this as a compliment—that certain Nepali conversational phrases, I have it down to the point that they think I am one of them! I’ve made it into a guessing game….I’ve received everything from a Nepali, a Lepcha, a Rai, a Naga (from Nagaland), a Mizo (from Mizoram)… What cracks me up the most is when they ask me if Paul’s Korean!
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment