I’ve recently begun to wonder, why does the section in 1 Corinthians 13 regarding love begins with the words, “Love is patient and kind.” I must have read it and said it multiple times, but the words seem to mean more these days. As we have been in India now for three months, I feel like my patience and kindness have been tested and I have not come out with flying colors. I have found that patience and kindness are lacking the most when I am surrounded by the mass seeking for my attention at the bazaar, while I am trying to figure out in my head what the conversion is, and beggars tugging at my elbow desperately hoping for some charity. My “no” becomes sharp and mean, to the point I am embarrassed by my tone of voice. Sometimes as I’m trying to get on the auto-rickshaw having patiently waited for the next one to arrive, people slowly ease themselves into my space, quickly jump in, and get a seat while I am left standing on the street. So, the next time, I make sure I spread out my arms so that no one can get through while I yell to Paul to quickly make his way over. Sometimes, it works, and other times, too late. By this time, my frustration level has shot off the top and the word kindness and patience are no where to be found. I am frustrated at Paul for not being aggressive enough, I have decided that all Indians are rude, and I’m going to give someone a piece of my mind if they push or shove me again.
Love is patient and kind....Before, I've asked the general question of "Am I loving my neighbor?" But, it's been more helpful to ask very practically, "Today, am I patient and kind?" I feel like I am at Introduction to Love 101 class, starting from its very basics—learning to be patient and kind, no matter what the circumstance is. It's easier said than done.
Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Paul,
This is Jon and Becca Hallsted in Romania. Eun just emailed us your newsletter. It was encouraging to know that the struggles we face are common to people other than ourselves. This has been a hard week for us and we are facing many decisions as well. Know that you are not alone! I don't need to tell you this, but just as an encouragement: if you are ever in doubt, know that focusing on language study will pay HUGE dividends. Do what you need to do in order to make that a priority...while you still can. There will come a day when you will be too busy to go back and study. A long term missionary friend of mine told me something a few weeks ago. He said (speaking from the mistakes he'd made) that if he was ever to go to a new field, he would spend the first 2 years focusing on 3 things: language study, language study, and language study. Of course that is admist all the other things of life. Take care guys and God bless you. jon and becca
Hey sis-
Funny thing but I have been also focusing on that passage... The fruit of the spirit, particularly patience and kindness. If it makes you feel any better, I totally blew it big time today. I lost it with the boys as we were trying to get grandchildren pics for Aaron's mom (shhhh!)and Seth was in tears.(He has big tears in the pictures that were taken). Jeshua was obsessed about two things: riding the coin operated race car and getting a lollipop! I screamed at the top of my lungs at Jeshua in public, scaring the photographer probably. You have India, I have the kids (but really it's more about ways I need to grow than it is about them). love you sis, eun joo. ps. I think I contracted some parasite or fungal infection from being in Thailand.
Post a Comment